Sunday, April 18, 2010

Memories~

Have you ever sat down and thought about your past? A memory comes into mind so deep that you feel like you're there reliving it right then. Everything comes back the sound, smell, taste...everything!

That's how it is for me when I think back to Montana. Let me tell you a bit about it, and see if I can take you there. I grew up moving all over the US....more then 30 moves in under 20yrs. However Montana just stuck. We lived in a small town called Darby. Where there were more bars then churches. Going 25mph you could clear the main street of town in under five minutes, and that was with traffic! Well, this is were I grew up! The local hang out was Mr. T's gas station. This is were everyone who was anyone...well, nope just everyone was there on a Friday night after the game. It didn't even matter what game. With the senior class of 22, that parking lot could hold almost everyone that attended the high school....in any grade!

I loved it there. Spring time.....oh! You could smell spring in the air with the bloom of Beargrass and Paintbrushes, the hills would be covered in them. Trees would start to bloom and come to life after the cold winter...like magic. Wild strawberries would bring out the bear cubs for their first taste of the mountain. I would go down to the river just to see how cold the water was...watch it glisten in the sun and wait for summer to dive in. And the summers...how can I not tell you about summer?!?

Lazy days with friends, hiking looking for antlers, biking to the lake, fishing on the river or just hanging out. But the sunset.....when the sky turns vibrant orange at first and then fads to purples and blues as you watch it fade. Its almost like God painted just for you. At last the sun would be gone behind the mountains to rest for the night only to reveal thousands upon thousands of stars that look like you can reach up and touch them at any moment.

Yes, this is my town! I have loved every place I've lived. And I've lived in some wonderful places. One of the best memories of Montana was fall. Every fall as the trees turned into hues of yellows, orange, burgundy's and brown the best thing would happen. It would be time for a star shower. Every November like clock work there is a big meteor shower called "Leonids". My mom and I would plan everything. We would get our sleeping bags and thermos of hot chocolate and go out and lay in the front yard and watch till the sun came up to see the magical show God performed for us. How I loved those nights. Talking about everything under the stars.

Now that I'm in Texas and married I still go out ever November...now with my husband. We get blankets and drive out to where there are no more city lights and watch this wonderful show.

If you have the chance to catch the show...mark your calender...November 17th this year. Enjoy~

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, I grew up in Montana and met my husband in Bozeman where he grew up. I lived in Billings and my family still lives there. We spend every summer at Swan Lake near Flat Head. It is a magical place.
    Nicole Cavey

    ReplyDelete