Thursday, October 7, 2010

"Oh, miss" - part one

Yes, this was my name....well, you would think it was my name. As a flight attendant you get called many things, but "oh, miss" is the one that sticks the most.

I've always said I could write a book off the things I've seen or experienced being a f/a....well, a blog will have to do!

Graduation day was here! It was September and we had been given our assigned bases just two days prior to graduating.

After we celebrated Wednesday night the next morning we were picked up for a 7am flight to our new home base. Mine was Chicago! There we receive a quick tour and given instructions to get a place to live, phone and address set up prior to starting on Saturday....it was Thursday around 4pm!

Yep, this was the glamour everyone must have been raving about. Have you ever tried to get an apartment in a day. With no car, no idea what street is what or where you are! Better yet, we had been in training for 6 weeks with no pay. Plus we only had a piece of paper stating we were hired with the airlines, but no way for the apartment to do a validation check due to security.

Well, after finding a wonderful brownstone in Chicago I had a place to stay, with two other people. Oh the joy!

My first flight, I was so air sick I thought for sure I would have to quit. I was the number #1 which meant I had to make the announcements, take care of first class and the pilots. To top it off, we had a passenger become ill. Yes, welcome to the job!

As I scrambled to get everyone fed, announcements made suddenly I hear someone talking about a passenger in the back of the plane. Come to find out the poor guy was passing kidney stones. Now, don't get me wrong I felt bad for him, but on the outside I found these words coming out of my mouth "REALLY, why are you flying?" As I had to find a Doctor to give this poor guy pain meds I found that the endless amounts of paperwork I had to start filling out.

"What's the person's name, what seat is he in, did he check bags" and on and on... I don't know, he's screaming in pain, I'm thinking he doesn't even know his mane right now!"

I got though the paperwork and as we were trying to put ourselves and the plane back together for landing I found myself thinking...."they never said it would be this crazy the first flight out!"

Needless to say, we made it and everything turned out fine. Of course I did forget to button down the first class kitchen area, and as we landed everyone found out as the coffee pot came flying out and tray went everywhere. Yes, my first flight!

I would have some of the funniest, and scariest things happen during my 5 years, but the best was meeting my husband.

More to come~





No comments:

Post a Comment